|DOWNSIZING PASTORAL TERMS OF
Why we are downsizing? What has changed to require consideration?
- Understanding of church’s mission
- Increased expenses
- Decline in giving
- Needs of members
- Needs of community
What are our alternatives to downsizing?
- Reduction of non-pastoral staff
- Reduction of program/mission
- Disposal of property
- Close church
What are our choices for downsizing?
- Share pastoral services with another church
- Bi-vocational (Tentmaker ) pastor
- Itinerant pulpit supply pastor
- Student supply pastor
- Commissioned Lay Pastor
- Session leadership
How will we address the consequences for both pastor and congregation?
- Tasks formerly performed by pastor
- Pastor’s use of additional discretionary time to supplement
- Continuing education and spiritual growth for pastor and
- Changes in pastor/parish relationship (les persona contact and
- Issues of identity for both pastor and church (“real”
- Future realities
How will we implement downsizing?
- Grief work
- Re-education of membership
- Public relations
- Changes in terms of call